on Thursday, September 30, 2010

Photo #1 shows the condition of my "soil". It is more rocks than dirt. This is New England. Photo#2 shows a potato plant. I am about to dig the tubers with my hands only. Photo #3 shows some of the potatoes that I have dug. Photo #4 shows me fishing around for the deepest ones. When the soil is this rocky, I build soil on top of the ground. Sixteen inches of leaves were put down. Then 4-6" of horsebarn bedding was put down on top of that. Pumpkins were planted in it the next spring by digging down to the dirt and placing the seeds on the dirt and covering them with an inch of soil. Thus, a crop of pumpkins grew the first summer, while it was decomposing. This spring, I dug down to the ground level and put in a potato and covered it over. These pictures are of me harvesting that crop.










0 comments:

Post a Comment