on Friday, August 13, 2010

I was impressed to set up a canning operation outdoors. I was surprised to find that I could bring my canning pot to a boil faster than on the electric stove! My family used to do canning this way when I was a boy. I also cook my corn in a kettle outdoors, in preparation for freezing it. And I cooked my apples this way, for applesauce. It sure keeps the house cooler, when it's 87 degrees in the shade outside! And saves $ on our outrageous CT electric bill! We have really high rates here.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few days ago, when I read this post, we had just run out of propane for our outdoor cookstove that The Man was using for canning...he LOVES to cook on wood fires, so I mentioned your post to him...we still haven't gone to town to buy propane, as his new wood-fired set up is working very well! Thanks so much for the reminder.

Post a Comment