on Sunday, June 27, 2010

The onion bulbs are beginning to size up. They need alot of water at this stage! The variety that I grow is a sweet onion, called "Candy". The onions are very large, sweet (with some the size of a grapefruit), and they keep until February if stored properly. I keep mine in my root cellar. The squash (upper left corner) is "Butterbush" variety, a type of butternut. These squash can be eaten as soon as they are picked. They do not require curing, as do the commonly grown "Waltham" variety. The "Waltham" variety begins to taste good around Thanksgiving or later, but is even sweeter in January! In the upper right corner are my experimental beet row. I am testing 8 or 9 varieties this year. I am looking for highest sugar content, which indicates nutrient density. Listen to my recent video to learn about nutrient density. The bottom right shows one type of corn that I am growing. It is a decorative type, called "Bloody Butcher". It is an Indian corn, used for flour. The name comes from the redness in the stalk, and in the entire ear. Some type of bird has been pulling up my 3" corn plant and eating the kernel off it, destroying long sections of a row. I noticed one patch, where the weeds came up quickly with the corn, hid the corn plants from the birds.

0 comments:

Post a Comment